Our client is looking for an experienced Quantity Surveyor to join their team in Bedfordshire.
The role will be to assist in the delivery and governance of commercial services and in particular the delivery Integration schemes, Drainage, Streetlighting, Structures in a manner that achieves both value for money for the client and sustainable shareholder value consistent with the contract(s), tender and agreed processes in the spirit of mutual trust and co-operation.
Ensure excellence and best practice in the support of the commercial elements of the Contract and ensuring excellence in the engagement and management of the supply chain, contract management and governance. To ensure the timely administration of the contracts including monthly payment assessments and change control. This role will require strict time management to suit varying workloads in line with allocated budgets / secured funding.
• Commercial responsibility for allocated integration, drainage, streetlighting and structures Schemes. Projects are of varying sizes and complexity
• Ensuring robust commercial processes are in place
• Managing the supply chain ensuring timely assessments and payments
• Liaising with the Client including regular reporting on cost, cash, risk and opportunities vs the allocated budget
• Liaising with the design team (including the procurement of works to assist with the completion of designs and option studies such as ground investigation and early contract involvement)
• Timely contract administration and working closely with the wider integration schemes team (typically Project Managers / Supervisors)
• Develop a Target Prices in line with the Contract Price Lists
• Develop suitable process for the control and issuing of Target Cost prices
• Ability to build rates from first principles and amend current Tendered rates
• Mentoring of junior members of staff to promote growth and development
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• A solid understanding of general IT systems (Microsoft Office suite, in particular Excel)
• An understanding of cost and contract management systems (i.e. Causeway Project Accounting (CPA) and CEMAR)
• An understanding of civil engineering and highways measurement principles and be capable of practical application of the same to complete or assess take offs from drawings, production of BoQs or Activity Schedules as required
• A solid understanding of all main forms of NEC contract, including past experience of operating under the same
• Experience in both self-time management and the recruitment of additional resources to meet varying workloads based on the availability of budgets
• The role is broad and includes anything from risk management to procurement, financial reporting and managing both the supply chain and direct works
• Among the qualities the ideal candidate must possess are strong commercial awareness, strong client liaison skills, project management and team leadership. They also need an extensive understanding of the construction industry, flexibility and a talent for negotiation
FOOTNOTE: If you feel that you are right for this job technically, but the salary, location or seniority does not suit you specifically then please still feel free to send us your CV. We constantly recruit for jobs very similar to this one at all levels UK Wide. We are always keen to chat with you discreetly about your employment situation.
Even if you are happy in your current job for now, we always welcome calls from Civil Engineering professionals keen to make their introductions for future months or years. Our specialist team has a combined 70+ years' experience in this market. Please call Adam Butler at Carrington West on (phone number removed) for more information.
By applying for this position, you are agreeing for Carrington West to hold and process your personal data in accordance to our Data Protection Policy. Your data will be shared with third party clients specifically relevant to any roles you have applied for. If at any stage, you wish to withdraw your consent please contact us